What better way to show your appreciation for your loved ones and the planet this festive period, than finding the perfect eco-friendly gift that won’t cost the earth? It doesn’t have to be difficult, simply choosing to buy second-hand or opting for sustainable alternatives can make a world of difference.
As part of the Low Carbon Business Network, we take our green credentials seriously, and as the theme of Balance: Wealth Planning’s Secret Santa this year is ‘green’, it seems apt to share some of our gift ideas:
The one thing we all want to avoid is buying someone a gift that they will simply throw in a cupboard until they regift it to someone else. So, here are a few handy-to-haves for around the house, that are sure to be loved and used by the lucky recipient:
- Ecoegg Laundry Egg No harmful chemicals ✓ Kind to skin ✓ Environmentally friendly ✓
- Natural candles 100% clean ingredients ✓
- Coconut bowl Recycled materials ✓ Natural ingredients ✓ Plastic-free ✓
- Recycled crochet baskets Recycled materials ✓ Plastic-free ✓ Vegan-friendly ✓
Who doesn’t love a good reusable? Well, perhaps you’ve never thought too deeply about it but once you’ve opened your mind to the endless possibilities that come with a reusable product, I’m sure you’ll never look back. These are just a few firm favourites, that will help protect the environment whilst simultaneously helping your loved ones to save some pennies in the long-term:
- Coffee cup BPA free ✓ Dishwasher safe ✓ 100% recyclable ✓
- Insulated drinks bottle BPA free ✓ Leak-proof ✓
- Bamboo lunch box Natural ingredients ✓ Sustainable materials ✓
- Reusable snack bag Plastic-free ✓ Machine washable ✓
- Beeswax wraps Plastic-free ✓ 100% natural ✓ Biodegradable ✓
Vegan food and drink
December is renowned for being a time to eat and drink far too much, and sometimes it’s our duty to do just that. To suit our eco-friendly theme, we’ve opted for vegan food and drink-related gifts, just as tasty with a much smaller environmental impact:
- Organic loose tea gift set Natural ingredients ✓ Organic ✓ Plastic-free ✓
- Vegan cookbook Plant-based and tasty recipes ✓
- Bailey’s Almande hamper Quality free-from products ✓ Sustainable packaging ✓
- Booja Booja vegan truffle selection Sustainable packaging ✓
Sustainable clothing and accessories
Christmas doesn’t have to cost you a fortune and you don’t always need to compromise on the brand. If someone you know has been obsessing over the latest shoe trend or that designer bag, then there are an abundance of second-hand apps and websites that will help you find the gift you want at a reduced price. Apps such as Depop and websites such as Vinted and Amazon allow users to sell on their unwanted items. And keep your eyes peeled because a lot of the time you can find exactly what you’re looking for brand new with tags!
But, if you’re not wanting to buy something second-hand then fear not, there are also many sustainable brands coming to the forefront. Here are just a few that we’ve come across so far:
- Matt & Nat bags Vegan-friendly ✓ Recycled materials ✓
- Everlane Clothing Ethical factories ✓ Exceptional quality ✓
- Nomads Clothing Fairtrade fashion ✓ Natural fibres ✓ Organic cotton ✓
- Nae Shoes Vegan-friendly ✓ Recycled materials ✓
Ethical toiletries and make-up
Everyone knows that Christmas is the time for giving and receiving…excessive amounts of toiletries. I’m sure in preparation people have already started running down the last of their current stock just in time for the wave of new smellies to flood in through the bathroom door. So, why not just look a little harder to find alternatives that are vegan, cruelty-free and sustainably sourced?
There’s a multitude of green toiletries, from bamboo toothbrushes and natural toothpaste to vegan cosmetics and organic soap bars (shampoo, deodorant and plain old hand wash). To get you started, we’ve put together some necessities that would make a lovely gift:
- Natural deodorant Natural ingredients ✓ Plastic-free ✓ Vegan-friendly ✓
- Faith in Nature shampoo bar Natural ingredients ✓ Plastic-free ✓ Vegan-friendly ✓
- Vegan perfume Natural ingredients ✓ Cruelty-free ✓
- Build your own vegan pamper kit Environmentally friendly ✓
We hope you all have a lovely festive time this December, full of love, laughter and lots and lots of delicious food and drink!
If you would like to speak to one of our financial planners, then please get in touch.